For many years the folk of Cults had to cross the River Dee to worship at the Church of Scotland at Banchory-Devenick. There were other churches on the North side of the river but the nearest Church of Scotland was in Aberdeen.

Crossing the river was a somewhat hazardous trip as it involved journeying across in a rowing boat. This must have been especially difficulty when dress in ‘Sunday Best’. In 1836 however the Minister of Banchory- Devenick church decided to build a bridge to give a safe way across for the 700 church parishioners who lived on the Cults and Murtle estates. So was constructed the St Devenick’s Bridge - rather better known as ‘The Shakkin’ Briggie’.

For many years this bridge provided safe passage for the congregation to reach their chosen place of worship. As populations on the North bank of the river continued to increase a need for a place of worship somewhat closer to the residences of many of the congregation became required.

The First Building

In 1882 a group of six gentlemen of the area are recorded as ‘being favourable to the erection if a Mission Hall at Cults’ - so began the history of our Church.

The first minister was appointed in February 1888 – at a salary of £110 per annum- but it was not until 1896 that the mission was to be erected into a Church and Parish Quoad Sacra and a Kirk Session was formed.

The Mission had become a Church and was now self-sufficient.

A New Church Building

By 1903 the congregation had raised funds to build a Manse and, as Church membership grew with the development of the suburb, by 1906 the congregation was outgrowing the capacity of the Hall.

A new Church building was required and the noted Aberdeen architect,
Dr Marshall McKenzie – a member of the congregation – was asked to submit plans for a new building to seat a congregation of about 450.

The corner-stone of the new building was laid by the then Moderator of the General Assembly, Dr Paul, in June 1915 and one year later, in July of 1916, the new building was dedicated by Dr John Brown of Belahouston.

The original Mission Hall became the Church Hall and remains in use today for a variety of play groups, clubs and Junior Church.

Since these days only minor developments have been made. In the 1970s, additional hall accommodation was added, and by 1999, the Kirk Session had agreed to provide access for disabled persons.

The 21st Century

In 2005 Cults West and Cults East Kirks agreed to a union from which Cults Parish Church was formed.